18/04/2014

#ToMB Claw & Fang Vol. 8

#ToMB Month 3 - Wondering what the $*%& to do

**Warning: This post may contain, confusion, complaining and frustration. Be warned**



What's the matter?


I am actually enjoying #ToMB, painting wise it has actually got me back into doing it, if I take anything away from this experience it's a reminder I can paint models that look alright on the tabletop and that sometimes it still can be enjoyable.
I have taken more than just that though, learning Marcus and his crew has been heaps of fun and I can see so much potential in him...

...and in here lies my issue.
I want to continue, I have a huge pile of options in front of me, so many Beasts from all across Malifaux to explore and play with but, the models.

Off the top of my head, here is a list of models that I would like to try out with Marcus and co:

  • Molemen
  • Hoarcat Pride
  • Silurids
  • Spawn Mother
  • Dawn Serpent
  • Rogue Necromancy
  • The Sow
  • Waldgeist
  • all the Dogs
None of these as of writing are in plastic bar a single Canine Remains.
A lot of these models are also in my opinion not very nice so I lack the desire to buy them, let alone paint them.
In the case of the Swamp Fiends, I've recently sold mine off.

But the rules say...

@lemonconstuct (I believe it was him) kindly reminded me that #ToMB doesn't have to be about painting and that I can still game and record that.

This is an option that I have considered, but my problems with this are
  1. I want to finish the crew I started or I feel I have wasted 2 months painting
  2. If I am painting another crew, I will want to play that more, meaning maybe no #ToMB time
There is another option.

Start a fresh #ToMB

I could start a new #ToMB adventure, I stated online that I wish I did a Ten Thunders master so I had a massive access to plastic models, which if you still haven't noticed, that is my preference.


I am still very much considering this an option. Painting wise this will be great as I will be wanting to do things for Mei Feng anyway.
Also Ten Thunders is the faction I want to learn about the most after Arcanists.

I really don't fancy doing Misaki (though I do own her) and I have recently acquired Lucas McCabe and Jakob Lynch.

Yan Lo had my curiosity, but Shen Long has my attention. Though a lack of model there does put me off.
Even Brewmaster is on the horizon but I wouldn't choose him as a master either I don't think.

I think it's McCabe or Lynch.
Although McCabe interests me a lot, it's more the rest of his crew.
Jakob Lynch also does one my favourite things in the game, hand manipulation.

So maybe this is the plan?

My issue with this plan on top of the fact it may keep from finishing Marcus is that, first of all my real Ten Thunder love is Mei Feng, how can I abandon her?
Secondly, is that the gaming aspect isn't something I can do proper justice to without the games.

#ToMB is about learning and natural progression. Going in with $100 this month would feel like cheating.
However, I would still write an article breaking down why I would get what even without the experience.

So maybe this is the plan?

So you have your plan then?

My other idea was that I would continue #ToMB with Marcus and do another segment for the blog about painting through Ten Thunders.
Game with Marcus, paint 10T and chat about whatever.
After all I do still want to learn Mei Feng as a Ten Thunder too.

I could also hold off further, maybe month 3 I save my virtual dollars and hold out for Marcus.
However, looking at the releases Dawn Serpent is really the only thing I may get, Hoarcats are "summer".

Maybe I just do both?

The Answer...

I don't have one.

I think over the weekend I will type up a Jakob Lynch #ToMB, maybe get a game in with him.
Maybe write up a true Claw and Fang month 3 post and pick what I'd add on.

To preview those potential articles that may never happen.

Lynch would probably be.
Month 1 - Dark Debts ($10 spare)
Month 2 - Mr Tannen and Beckoners ($8 spare)
Month 3 - Mr Graves and Monks of Low River ($1 spare)

Quick thinking is month 1 box set, extend to get more control as Illuminated and Hungering Darkness are already hard hitting, month 3 gets Graves to pair with Tannen and Monks for cheap models.

Month 3 for Marcus, $39 to spend.
$15 will go on the Dawn Serpent which I may do anyway thanks to having a proxy.
The serpent adds some blast damage and some other tricks, it also serves as for a Cojo replacement.
$24 left I really would like Gupps, the issue with metal models is I assume you'll get more for your money whenever plastics happen.
Gupps over Silurids as they are only 4ss and still give me the speedy leaping.
However. I may save the $24 to get both next month, also helps with the fact Gupps can become Silurids.

Well we'll see.

Rant Over

Possibly the most pointless of posts I have made and I apologise.

However I thought I would share and as usual, leave comments or tweet me if this has brought up anything you'd like to discuss.

Would you like me to be "The Man of Two #ToMBs"?

-Ben Sime @psientologist [Listening to Bloc Party: Silent Alarm]


1 comment:

  1. Go for the two ToMBs. I was considering doing that myself, and although I decided that I needed some general Malifaux experience before jumping into that, I might end up doing so anyway. Also, more Mei! :)

    ReplyDelete